Skip to main content

Unit of Study Readings (eReserve): Help and other information

Copyright for unit of study readings

In Australia, copyright law allows educators to use third party copyright material for educational purposes without having to seek permission from the copyright owner.

The use of third party copyright material for educational purposes is permitted through special statutory and voluntary education licences and exceptions within the Copyright Act.

Different education licences and exceptions apply depending on how the material is being used, and whether you are using:

  • text works (books, journal articles, reports)
  • artistic works (paintings, photographs, graphs, figures)
  • broadcasts (including webcasts of broadcasts)
  • music and sound recordings
  • video works

For more information, see

How does the Unit of Study Readings Service manage copyright?

The Unit of Study Readings Service delivers essential and recommended readings to students by digitising high demand 3rd party information resources such as book chapters and journal articles, and making them available to students via the Unit of Study Readings List in the University LMS. The Unit of Study Readings Service also provides direct links to the University Library’s electronic journal articles and eBooks from within the LMS.

The Unit of Study Readings Service helps the University manage the copying limits, reporting and other requirements of the statutory licences contained in the Copyright Act, and the University Library’s electronic resource licences.

Why can’t I just scan and upload book chapters and journal articles directly to the Learning Management System?

Under the statutory licences of the Copyright Act there are copying limits and other requirements associated with copying and communicating digitised education resources.

These copying limits are managed through the Unit of Study Reading List Service who checks submitted reading list items and links against the University Library’s holdings, to prevent the University from inadvertently making copies of works outside the terms and limits of the statutory education licence. The service also prevents the University from inadvertently making copies outside the terms of its commercial electronic resource licences. 

The Unit of Study Readings Service is accessible from the Unit of Study tab in the LMS. To activate this service, see “getting started”.

What are the copying limits for digitised print resources?


  • 10% or one chapter per unit of study, whichever is the greater.
  • If multiple chapters are less than 10% of the work, multiple chapters can be made available up to the 10% limit 
  • Note: More than 10% or one chapter may be copied where the work is not commercially available within a reasonable time at an ordinary commercial price.

Journal articles

  • One article from an issue of a journal.
  • More than one article per issue may be copied if the articles are on the same subject area.

Music scores

  • 10% of a printed music score.

What about electronic books and journal articles in databases?

It is best practice to link to electronic books and journal articles. Do not upload electronic books or journal articles directly to the LMS.

What other copyright materials can I use in my teaching?

Download our guide to using copyright material in the classroom and online.

For more information, see

This information is provided as general information only. It provides a basic introduction to copyright and is not intended to be comprehensive.


  • The FAQ knowledge base may provide answers to many of the questions you might have.

  • To enquire about a specific reading, request a purchase or for technical issues you can e-mail the Unit of Study Reading Team directly

  • Ask us now gives you the opportunity to send us a question which we will endeavour to answer within 24 hours.

  • Live Chat is a chat service with helpful library staff answering your questions between 10 am and 9 pm Monday to Friday during semester, 10 am and 4 pm outside semester.

  • You can contact your Academic Liaison Librarian who can assist or refer you to the appropriate Unit of Study Reading Service team member.