The web version of EndNote can be used to create bibliographies, manage references, share libraries collaboratively, and insert citations into Word via Cite While You Write functionality. It can be used as a standalone library or as a way of transferring references from desktop EndNote if you are using more than one computer.
Advantages of EndNote Web:
- Access your citations from any computer - even if it doesn't have desktop EndNote installed on it
- Share references with other EndNote Web users anywhere in the world
Limits to EndNote Web (compared to the full (desktop) EndNote program):
- you can add up to 5GB of attachments to your account
- you cannot use term lists for journal abbreviations
- you cannot edit styles and filters
Check system requirements for EndNote Web
Sign up for a free account
- On campus: Go to EndNote Web and click on Sign Up, then follow the prompts.
- Off-campus: From the Library's databases pages enter Web of Knowledge. Select My EndNote Web at the top of the page and click on Register.
Inserting references into Word
No software has to be installed to use EndNote Web however you will need to install a Cite While You Write toolbar if you want to insert references into a Word document or use the capture toolbar in your browser. After creating an account, signing in and viewing the 'Getting started' guide, select the "Download installers link at the bottom of the page". Please read the Endnote Web Plug-In installation instructions.
- EndNote X users: with the latest update you do not need to install the Cite While You Write Plug-In to use it.
- EndNote X3 or X4 users: you will automatically have EndNote Web CWYR plug-ins.
- If you are using EndNote and EndNote web it is advisable to use the EndNote toolbar in Word and switch between EndNote & EndNote Web using Preferences option.
- Instruction for Word 2007 users:
- Do not install Site While You Write Plug-In.
- Go to EndNote toolbar and select “Preferences”.
- Click on “Application” and then select “EndNote Web” from drop down menu
- Type in your e-mail address and the password.
- Click on “OK” the toolbar will automatically switch to EndNote Web.
Using EndNote Web tips
- The yellow tabs along the top of the screen represent different functions. Select the appropriate tab to find options.
- Note: Navigation through pages should be done through links. The Back button in your browser will not work.